26 June 2007

More than hopeful

I'm positively giddy.

It's been months since I've felt this way. The puzzle of life seems to be in a piecing-itself-together phase instead of the more maddening throw-it-on-the-floor-and-stomp-angrily-on-it phase.

We finally finished the chicken coop (in the city!) with a run in the backyard attached to a "hen house" in the garage. We have four feathered, clucking, and soon-to-be-egg laying hens in the backyard. They're of various breeds and make a very pretty flock. Their individual personalities are charming. Below is one of my favorites, (am I allowed to have a favorite?) Clara. She's not particularly bright, but she's very curious and loves to be held and fed by hand.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I finally landed a job. As P said, "It's about fucking time someone realized how great you are." Thank you, P. It's not a life changing or particularly stimulating job, but it has wonderful hours (my first "nine to fiver" kind of job) and the boss actually offered me a decent wage. He seems to be a genuine guy. Hopefully this holds true. At the very least, this will literally buy me some time to figure something else out.

I checked on my application status for the UofM today. It simply said, "We've made a decision and have sent you a letter." What good is an application status report if it doesn't actually tell you what the deal is?! Hopefully the good luck continues and the letter tomorrow doesn't rain on my shining and thrilling parade.

I got a package in the mail from a place I had applied to and interviewed with a long time ago. They sent me a pound of coffee and a rather thoughtful rejection letter. Seeing as how I've landed some other employment, this was like icing on the cake. Being turned down never felt, smelled, or tasted so good.

Since the conversation with my new boss offering me something to do on the weekdays, I have had three call backs on other jobs I had applied to. It's forever true - when it rains, it pours.

I made spring rolls tonight and they were delicious in fresh-from-the-garden mint and basil-y kind of way. I botched the peanut sauce and then fixed it. I was impressed if I do say so myself.

P and I are going out for a celebration dessert, dinner, and activity on Friday. I'm a-goin' fishin' with P and his parents at a local trout farm on Saturday. And next week we head north to visit mi papa and join the herds at the Winnipeg Folk Festival. When we return, all deaf and crispy from the sun, I start the new job.

I am so ready for this new chapter.

Let the games begin.

No comments: